*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Day 512: Heart And Seoul

What a long, crazy day. Ugh. I'm exhausted just thinking about it again!

Michael had spent the night over last night so that he could help me get the boxes over to the post office today. Getting the four boxes together and 'ship-shape' for their big journey turned out to be quite the task. Two of the boxes had to be transplanted into other stronger boxes, and then they all had to be wrapped in brown paper and then *covered* in tape. Man, those babies are sure sealed up now!

After the post office I had to finish packing my backpack (I'm bringing way too much crap, I'm sure, as my bag is full to the brim) and then clean my very dirty apartment. This all took longer than I expected and it wasn't until late afternoon that it was all done. I gave my empty apartment one last look and then it was time to say goodbye and close the door forever.

I went to POLY to drop off my test scores and give Keith my keys, as well as say goodbye to my coworkers and bosses. This took quite a while as well and I didn't end up getting out of there until nearly 5pm. I was supposed to go to the clinic in Itaewon to pick up the rest of my malaria prescription but I couldn't get there in time before it closed. Looks like I'll have to do that on the way to the airport tomorrow.

I went to Pauline and Tim's and we sat around chatting before it was time for my big going away dinner. I had booked a reservation at Ruby Tuesday's and had all my friends show up to send me off. I had 21 people come in total and it was great to see almost all of my friends together in one place. We made a great meal while I made the rounds and tried to socialize with everyone. After dinner about half my friends went home, while the other half decided to take me out for a drink. We went to this WEIRD but cool bar that had an underwater mushroom theme going on. The walls and ceiling were all decked out to look like giant mushrooms and there were little 'rivers' of water running along the ceiling. Strange!

We had a couple of drinks and then I was feeling rather tired and though I should head to bed at a reasonable hour since I have a big day tomorrow. It's weird...up until today I still hadn't really felt that first wave of excitement yet about the trip. Maybe it's cause I've been thinking about it and planning it for SO LONG that it just never felt like it was actually going to come. Now -finally- on the eve of my departure I started to get that rush of exhiliration that comes just before a trip. I'M GOING TO BE IN CHINA TOMORROW!!! HOLY FUCK!!! Wow, that's amazing, and for most of the night I had a huge grin on my face. My dream trip has become a reality and tomorrow Project Wanderlust is launched. AWESOME!

It was still a really sad night, having to give goodbye hugs to so many dear friends. I've met a lot of truly wonderful people here in Korea who I love very much. My 512 days in Korea (513 if you count my half-day tomorrow as well) has been a true adventure with a lot of ups and downs, and now that I'm at the end of it I can say that it was a fantastic choice and a truly enjoyable experience. I'm *so glad* I took that plunge a year and a half ago and left Canada to go out and live the life abroad. Just look at all the great times I've had!

And it really is just beginning. Because of Korea, I've been able to experience life in a foreign country, have gotten to know another culture inside and out, have opened up new ideas and concepts and ways of thinking within me, changed my conceptions about the world and blown away all my expectations, added quite a few stamps to my passport, gained the financial means to pay off a good chunk of my debt, *and* now I get to go on an incredible trip! The friends I've met have truly been the 'Heart and Soul' of my time here in Korea, but this country has been a great host too. I really feel like I've conquered Korea and have seen that I really wanted to. It's been a great run but it really does feel like it's time to move on. I'll look back on Korea with great memories and this country will always hold a special place in my heart for the rest of my life.

So, now it's time to leave and begin something new. Goodbye Korea, Hello World. Project Wanderlust begins tomorrow and it's gonna be quite the ride. Stay tuned for more adventures, truckloads of too-crazy stories, unpredictable excitement and drama, revelations and discovery filled with awe and wonder and inspiration, and an even greater love for life. (Sometimes I think I need to pinch myself cause it's like my life is too good to be true some days.) I promise to never take anything for granted, will stay true to the heart of what is me, and will attempt to convey to you my excitement and passion and curiosity and love for this planet and all the places that I'm about to visit. I feel very lucky and privileged to live this life of mine, and I hope you're getting a kick out of it too.

Ahnyonghe Kaseyo Korea, and Komapsumnida! :-)

1 Comments:

Blogger Benoit said...

Have a great time :) Send postcards!!

9:58 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home