*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Day 506: Hot Sticky Nights

Even though this was my last weekend in Korea, I didn't actually plan a whole lot. I'm going to have a going-away dinner with some friends maybe next Friday, but no giant party or anythign like that this weekend. Perhaps I should've planned something like that, but I just didn't feel all that inspired to, and there was a few events already going on this weekend that I don't want to compete with.

In the afternoon I went with Michael, Pauline, Tim, and Michael's friend Chang to go to a museum exhibit. The British Museum has a cultural treasures tour going on with some of their pieces, and its in town for a few months at one of the local museums. We thought it would be cool to go and hang out there for the day, especially since it was a rainy afternoon.

Overall, I had mixed emotions about the experience. Firstly I was put off by the cost. It cost 15,000 won to get in (like $18 Cdn) for only a smattering of pieces. I've been to the actual British Museum in London, have seen the entire collection, and its free to go there. The pieces they had on display were actually pretty cool. They had mummies from Egypt, statues from Ancient Greece, stone pillars from Mesopotamia, necklaces from the Incas, among other things. However, it was difficult to be able to enjoy the displays as there was like a billion people there!! It was like being in one long line the whole time, like when you're waiting to get on a rollercoaster at a theme park. People were pushy and there were tons of loud children running around and it was really hot and stuffy in there.... I dunno....just not my ideal museum experience. I like to go to museums by myself, spend all day wandering around at my leisure, pondering different pieces in quiet solitude - not feeling like I was trapped at the mall during Christmas time. *sigh* Welcome to Asian museums, I guess?

We had a really nice dinner at Nolita Garden in Kangnam though, and after that we all felt relaxed and comfortable again. After dinner we parted ways. Chang went off to go visit some of his friends. Pauline and Tim went to Ilsa for Jake & Shannon's going away, and Michael and I went to Sinchon to meet Ailish at a new bar that was opening that night. The bar was called Watts On Top and it was a pretty cool place actually. It had a big rooftop patio, and 5 DJ's and a dancefloor on the second floor. And drinks were CHEAP too! I hadn't seen Ailish in a really long time so it was great to hang out with her for the night.

Michael and I stayed until around 2:30am or so and then walked on home to Pauline and Tim's to sleep. It was soooo hot and humid and sticky tonight that I had to literally peel off my shirt before bed. It was soaked with sweat and clinging to me like a second skin. Eww. Gotta love Asian humidity during the monsoon season, eh? ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home