*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Day 502: (Re)Connected

I woke up today still feeling pretty crappy, so I decided to call in sick again. Taking two days off in a row is a pretty big deal, but working a job like POLY requires *a lot* of energy. Energy that I just don't have right now. Preschool alone would kill me, never mind all the afternoon classes. Better to stay home and rest some more and get rid of whatever it is that I have.

I had my first proper meal today and that helped immensely. Feeling a bit of an energy spurt in the afternoon, I decided to give my buddies Greg and Liz in Vancouver a call. I haven't talked to them in ages and ages, and I'm home and have the time so why not? With my trip coming up fast it'd be nice to chat with them one last time before I disappear off the map for a while.

I ended up talking with Greg for almost three hours and it was a really great conversation. After many months we certainly had a lot of news to catch up on. We spent almost a full hour just talking about my trip, and Greg even broke out his atlas so he could find the places on the map where I'll be going. (Yeah, we're Geography geeks! haha!) It was so great to hear his voice and chat just like old times.

Yesterday I had also spent quite some time chatting with friends back home on Messenger. I talked to a bunch of people who I hadn't talked to in a very long time, and did a lot of catching up then too. Between today's phone call and yesterday's afternoon on Messenger I was able to reconnect with a lot of friends that I had sorta felt that I had lost touch with. A few months ago I wrote an entry in my blog called "Disconnected" and it was all about my sentiments regarding the space I was feeling with most of my old friends back in Canada. Well the last two days has helped to disprove that original theory. Not all is lost, not everyone feel a million miles away. People still care about me back home, and when we chat it doesn't feel weird or awkward or forced. I'm really lucky that I do have some great friends who, even when months and months pass, when we chat it's like I hadn't even left. Those are pretty special people, and the kind of friends who you really do end up having for life.

By the end of the day I was feeling much better, both physically and emotionally. Nothing like having two days off to help put things back in order, eh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home