*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Day 459: Taxes

There are two guarantees in life, two things that you can count on no matter where you live or what you do. Death's one of 'em, and the other is taxes. Oh, those lovely taxes...

I've been so confused about my own tax situation. With the exception of about a month at Delany's, all my 2004 income was from my job here in Korea. I decided not to declare my Korean earnings this year when filing my Canadian Income Taxes, cause literally not one person I've talked to who's worked in Korea has, so I figured why should I be the first? I'm not one for dodging responsibility, but I'm not about to offer the Canadian government any of my earnings unless they make me. I figured that I don't live in Canada these days, have no intention to live there any time soon (plans call for at least two more years overseas..), and don't use any of the Canadian 'services', so why should I pay for them?

This may come back to bite me in the ass one day in the future, but I'm gonna take the gamble. And hey I'm getting some money back from the Canadian government so that's even more cooler. Being an expat can be really complicated sometimes. There's never any black and white answers for these sort of questions it seems. Everything's always blurred in shades of grey. Ahh well... I guess I'll see what happens. Tax evasion or just keeping what's really mine? Who knows!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home