*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Day 243: Begin To Live

I came across one of the coolest quotations that I've ever heard in my life the other day, and found it truly inspiring and truthful. And it goes a little something like this:

"Nolite solum esse sed incipite vivere."

And for those of you who aren't fully versed in Latin, that much-loved/loathed dead language:

"Be unwilling only to exist, begin to live."

Now how amazing is that!!! It's actually the slogan used by Caffe Artigiano in Vancouver, but if you look past that it really is quite beautiful. And so bang on! It's totally how I feel about life and the world. Too many people just trudge through life either completely miserable, or apathetic and accepting of 'their place in life' at best. Married to mediocrity, bed-buddies with complacency. Strangers to passion, foreigners to zeal, sanguinity, and vehemence. And that's not good enough! There is so much beauty in this world to discover, even in the little things of everyday life. All we have to do is choose to see it. It really is that simple.

Anyway, I found this quotation quite inspiring and uplifting. Now what I'd like to know is what quotation inspires you? Please send me a quotation or passage or line or phrase that you find inspirational or beautiful or particularly appealing. It doesn't have to be in Latin or Shakespearean or poetically perfect or anything like that. I just want to know what passages and prose have struck a chord with you. I like to collect these things and would love to hear something back from you. Please think of a quotation you can send to me (take your time if you need it), and be sure to post your name so I know the source. It would mean a lot to me! Thank you muchly! :-)


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why.

Change. This isn't good or bad. It's just the way of things. Nothing stays the same.

Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.

Haha, the last one was just for kicks! Hope you liked.

Janelle

7:36 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like the part about the ice weasels. love makes you stupid.

1:58 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"What we are today comes from our thoughts of yesterday, and our present thoughts build our life of tommorow. Our life is the creation of our minds."

Clive Erricker from Teach yourself Buddhism

B.

12:40 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, this isn't really that deep, but Winston Churchill once said:

"Never, never, never quit."

I like it. It's short and to the point. And I like to live my life that way, no quitting, ever. If everybody quit then we'd live in a pretty crappy world.

Scottie, you certainly don't quit!

- Lisa

12:58 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home