*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Monday, October 11, 2004

Day 235: Dino Dennis

I woke up today feeling a-okay and went back to work. Starting the week off knowing that you only have a four-day work week is really quite awesome. My pre-schoolers were as good as gold today and it made me just wanna smother them in hugs and kisses and steal them home with me.

One of my kids is a little boy named Dennis who is so cute. He's actually kinda funny-looking but he's a sweet boy who is simultaneously the brightest and the slowest of all my pre-schoolers. When it comes to Phonics or Reading, he's definitely the slowest in my class. He can't really read (one of only two in my class like that) and often has to be told basic instructions like ten times before it ever sinks in. Hell, most days I have to call his name like six times before he turns his head to respond.

But one thing this kid does know is dinosaurs, and man does he ever KNOW dinosaurs! He's only five years old and can't tell the difference between 'B' and 'P' but he can name every single species of dinosaur that you can imagine. The other day I had them colour a fun dinosaur worksheet as space filler inbetween classes, and while all the other kids exclaimed in excitement "Teacher! Dinosaur!" Dennis was like shouting out "Dinosaur no! Anklyosaurus!" WOW!

And then today we were doing work in our Phonics textbook and all the kids were freaking out cause there was a picture of a snake in there. While everyone else was screeching out "Snake! Snake!" Dennis came up to me and said "Teacher look! Boa constrictor!" Haha!! This kid cracks me up! God is he ever cute! Even though he's slow in everything else and this can be a bit frustrating, I can't help but love the little guy. Maybe cause he reminds me a bit of the dinosaur-obsessed kid that I was not too-unlike at one point in my life. He can barely write his own name but he can recite off to you six-syllable dinosaur names. Dennis, you're awesome! :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home