*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Monday, October 11, 2004

Day 236: A Sheltered Life

After work tonight Addie & Katie wanted to rent a movie so we did just that. They had mentioned the other day that one of their favourite movies is 'Singing In The Rain.' I commented that I had never seen it, to which they both simultaneously reacted with their jaws dropping to the floor. I *HAD* to see this movie immediately, they said, and there was just no other way about it. We rented it, and I have to say that I totally loved it! It was a fantastic movie and one I'd even buy. They just don't make movies like that anymore.

While on the subject of movies, I have to confess that when it comes to viewing 'Classics' or even just 'Famous Movies', I've lived a rather sheltered life. Movies that "Everybody and their dog" has seen a million times over and cherish with all their hearts, I just seemed to have missed. These are the movies that when I sheepishly admit I've never seen, the person always seems to react with "OMG!!! YOU'VE NEVER SEEN ________!!!???" Me: "Uhhhhh...no." Here's a short, random list of movies that I've never seen that everybody else in the Western World apparently has. Prepare to be apalled:

-Gone With The Wind
-The Goonies (this one gets the biggest reactions)
-all of the old Star Wars films (I've only seen bits of each)
-Braveheart
-The Breakfast Club
-The Sound Of Music
-It's A Wonderful Life
-or Miracle On 34th Street for that matter
-Grease
-Footloose
-any of The Godfathers
-Stand By Me
-Gigli (okay nobody went and saw that movie, but I had to throw it in for laughs!)

Now I don't know if this is because I grew up in middle-of-nowhere Thunder Bay or maybe my parents secretly plotted to starve me from popular film when I was growing up or if I just happened to be sick on all the days when cool sleepovers where 'we watch our favourite classics' took place. I really don't know how to explain it. It's kinda embarrassing actually because I like to think of myself as a guy who's always In The Know. Can I still be a self-proclaimed Connoisseur of Pop Culture if I haven't seen these movies? Uh-oh....

3 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

Scotty,

Here's my list

-Gone With The Wind (Saw a tiny bit when I lived in Whitby)
-Braveheart
-It's A Wonderful Life
-or Miracle On 34th Street for that matter
-any of The Godfathers
-Breakfast at Tiffany's
- Rebel without a cause
- Never seen any Marilyn Monroe movies

Does that make you feel better?

2:25 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Scott,

I'm the same in a lot of ways. And the 'Classics' I've seen are ones that no one else has seen (the original Ocean's 11 was a fantastic piece, IMHO).

-The Goonies (this one gets the biggest reactions)
-The Sound Of Music
-It's A Wonderful Life
-or Miracle On 34th Street for that matter
-Grease
-Footloose
-I've seen the first Godfather, I think
-Stand By Me

Also, I haven't seen Gigli. And tonnes of others. Nowadays, if I find myself with a spare evening or weekend, I'll head over to Blockbuster with the intention of watching movies I have never seen before. Some turn out to be drivel, some pure crap, and some are jewels, but at least that way I've seen them.

Singing in the Rain is one of my personal favourites.

Ryan

5:59 p.m.

 
Blogger brappy said...

I was just thinking that I should get Ben to watch Singin' in the Rain sometime soon. I sure do love that movie, especially "You Are My Lucky Star"...

I saw Gigli. It really did suck. But I didn't pay to see it in the theatre. I got passes ;-)

8:01 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home