*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Day 238: Observations

Today was the day I've been dreading about for the last couple of weeks at work. The day where I get OBSERVED for a full morning by one of the Bosses. Addie and Katie had their turn earlier in the week, and now it's my turn. Ever since my shitty review a few weeks ago I've been a bit insecure and unconfident at work, and today would be the day whether that would be professionally confirmed or not.

David (our R&D guy at work) sat in on all four of my preschool blocks today and just watched quietly while scribbling away on his pad of paper while I taught the ten little hellions known as The Parrots. The kids were up and down all morning. One minute they were all quiet and well-behaved, the next defiant and hyper-active. I did my best to keep the reins in hand and stay on track and I think it went fairly well overall. But David didn't say a single word *all morning long* and he's always got such a serious look on his face so who can really tell?

A few hours later in the afternoon, just before the elementary classes started up, I got my answer. David pulled me aside to have a chat and 'talk about the morning.' What a massive relief it was for me when I was given a primarily positive review! He had lots of compliments and good things to say about what he saw, and overall was very pleased with how I ran the class. He still had lots of suggestions and tips, but it was all constructive criticism and very supportive. Man, did I ever breathe such a huge sigh of relief! I feel like I've had this weight on my shoulders ever since that fateful afternoon of The Open House and finally today that weight was lifted off. I still have to work hard to improve the class for the next one, but at least I know that work doesn't think I'm a shitty teacher anymore! Yah! :-)

1 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

Yeah evalutation day as a student teacher was VERY harrowing! Imagine that same situation but with students who KNOW exactly why that guy is at the back of the class and do their BEST to be positively ugly in their behaviour. When it's highschool students they can be pretty nasty!

2:30 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home