*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Monday, January 10, 2005

Day 328: Switching Teams

So I'm taking serious consideration into switching teams.

And no I'm not talking about *those* teams (come on silly, I switched from *that* team many moons ago, back on December 12, 1998) I'm talking about switching from Preschool to Kindergarten.

The school year in Korea begins in March, and with that means a whole new schedule for all the teachers, along with the chance to switch what you teach. Since at that same time Sally and Jay will be leaving POLY, there'll be two new vacancies opening up in Kindergarten. And I'm thinking about taking one of them.

I love teaching Preschool, despite all the challenges and exhaustion that it brings. My kids are adorable and I love them to pieces. It's just that Kindergarten is looking kinda attractive these days. It would be a new challenge, something else to add to my resume, and from what I've heard is easier to teach. The kids are older, obviously speak English better, and are well-acclimatized to the Poly educational environment. They know the rules and the routines, and it becomes more 'teaching' and less 'day care'. You get to teach specific subjects (like Reading or Science) to other Kindergarten classes as well. And plus, I'd love the idea of being able to follow some of my Parrots up to the next level and be their teacher again.

The new crop of kids coming in for Preschool in seven weeks will come with their own bonuses and specific challenges. I'll have to start back at square one, with teaching basic rules, how to ask for simple stuff in English, and just getting them used to being in their first school environment ever. Not an easy transition for kids, let me tell you! They're so small when they first come, it's like they're barely out of diapers. Half the kids can't even ask to go to the bathroom at first! However, the idea of having my own class, all to myself again, to train from scratch could be really cool. I could mold these kids to be exactly the way I want them to be (well, as much as a five year old will let you, haha!) and it would be like having my own family all over again.

So I really don't know right now. I keep bouncing back and forth and am currently riding that fence long and hard. I need to make a choice soon as it won't be long before they begin hiring new teachers to fill those positions. Hmmm...I really don't know right now which way I'll go!

1 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of teaching...the starting from scratch. Let me tell you Scotty that NEVER stops. Teaching highschool kids is still starting from scratch with EVERY class. HA HA. I'd switch and give yourself a chance to experience a new level of teaching. What I always loved about teaching older kids was the ability they have to debate and discuss. Of course kindergarten kids don't do that but hey try something new and teach a different grade.

2:52 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home