*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Monday, January 10, 2005

Day 325: Not So Ghetto Fabulous

It was back to the ol' grind today, and I was actually really excited to see all my kids. They were all eager to tell me about their holidays and had lots of funny, cute stories to share. The one thing I was excited to share with them was to show them my two tattoos. I knew that I would get a reaction from the kids, but I was expecting them to be all hyper and excited over them. Hell, if one of my teachers back home had offered to show me a new tattoo, I would've thought that'd be the coolest thing ever.

So I showed all my kids the ankle chain and that gecko, from my preschoolers to my Grade 5's, and I was met with the same reaction each and every time - confusion, and mild horror! Huh? Come on kids! They're tattoos! Look how cool they are! (and they're not real, anyways!)

It looks like I misjudged another cultural difference. Oops I did it again! Turns out that in Korea the only people who wears tattoos are those who are in gangs, or have been in jail. haha! No wonder I got the reaction I did! That's right kiddies, your Teacher went to jail *and* joined a gang over the Christmas holidays. You know how crazy us weguks can be! haha!

To be honest I was surprised that later in the week I didn't get any nasty phone calls from concerned parents, freaking out that their small innocent child is being taught by a foreign heathen who's gone and gotten himself inked. Looks like I dodged that bullet! (but being in a gang and all, I've gotten really good at avoiding bullets! haha!) :-)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home