*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Thursday, November 04, 2004

Day 259: Wingardium Leviosa!

(I'm sure I spelled that wrong....any Harry Potter fans out there care to correct me?)

Today was Day 2 of the Halloween Party and once again it was very, very long but a helluva lot of fun. All my Parrots came into school dressed up in costumes today and looked absolutely adorable! (yesterday they didn't cause it was the Kindergarteners' party.) I had the typical Spidermans and princesses in my class, plus a police officer, king, cowgirl, and even a kangaroo, among others. My kids are so gosh darn cute I love 'em to pieces!! I took lots of pics and promise to have 'em up online soon.

Today's afternoon was the same routine only with different kids this time. Running on a sugar high because of all the candy available, I was flying along all day! What was especially funny was that some of the kids I encountered actually thought that I was the REAL Harry Potter! LOL! Granted most of them were quite young but it was still fun to play it up. However, there was this one kid who was in Grade 4 and he honest-to-God believed that I was the real deal. He was absolutely thrilled that I had decided to visit his POLY school on this day and had a million and one questions for me. Luckily I'm fairly well-versed in Harry Potterism and was able to not only keep up but stoke the fires of his fascination with me. Here's a sample of the conversation:

Kid: "WOW! You're Harry Potter! Hey, aren't you supposed to be in school right now?"
Me: "Yes I am but I'm skipping right now." *leaning in to whisper* "Shhhh, don't tell anyone - I don't wanna get in trouble from Dumbledore."
Kid: *nodding eagerly* "Okay I won't!"

Kid: "So where's Hermione?"
Me: "Oh she's in class right now. You know her, *rolling my eyes* always studying..."
Kid: "Yeah she's so smart!"

Kid: "So how did you get here all the way from England?"
Me: "I borrowed Ron's flying car again."
Kid: "WOW! Be careful, remember you crashed it last time!"
Me: "Oh I know! We got in so much trouble that time! I'm gonna be real careful this time!"

Kid: "So can you show me some magic?"
Me: "No I can't, I'm not allowed. Chang-Director said I couldn't practice any spells at POLY because I might scare the preschool and kindergarten kids."
Kid: *nodding in agreement* "Yeah, that's a good idea..."

It was so much fun! He'd go off to play another game and then would come running back later on with another whole round of questions for me. This kid seemed a little too old (about 10 years old) to be thinking I was the real Harry Potter but I loved every minute of it. It *almost* made me feel like a film star/foreign celebrity/way-cool boy wizard all the way from Hogwarts for a day. Gotta love kids, man! It's days and moments like this that I really, truly do love my job! :-)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Scott... want my kindies? I'm so not cut out for this kindergarten teaching thing. On the one hand I love it cause they really are bloody adorable! But they are sooo full on... and I'm sick of tying shoelaces. Anyway glad to hear you enjoyed Halloween there. They don't do it here in Australia, so my Halloween festivities at school consisted of reading them a book about a witch. Whoo hoo! Your Harry Potterisms seem to be spelt correctly at first glance. Way to go with the HP costume. I want to see pics to see if yours was better than mine! Peace out, Jenn

7:22 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home