*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Thursday, October 28, 2004

Day 250: Techno Gimp

So I've come to the realization that I'm a Techno Gimp. And this isn't even new. I've been this way for a while, and am now ready to come out of the Techno Closet... What can I say...when it comes to technology, I suck! And while I'm not technophobic, I'm definitely not very receptive to new changes or advances in technology.

Technology is advancing far faster than I am, and I constantly feel like I'm behind. I don't like new gadgets, and become easily frustrated when I have to learn something new when it comes to technology. Why can't stuff just stay the same so I always know what I'm doing? This stuff is way too complicated for me! I just don't have the patience for it, and prefer to use more 'old-fashioned' methods instead.

For example, when I had a cell phone back in Vancouver, for the longest time I had this old giant clunker that I got back in 1998 (yes, you read correctly) that I didn't get rid of until late 2002. And that was only because I had been a customer with Fido for so long that they *gave me for free* a new phone, (and they were quite shocked when they found out what ancient model I was still using!) When I got the new phone it took me like a month to figure the damn thing out. All these new buttons, new commands, new ways of organizing numbers and names. Ugh, it was too much for me! My old phone was working just fine, thank you very much, even if it was large enough that I could have used it as a serious weapon if I was ever mugged, or trapped in a burning vehicle or collapsed SkyTrain tunnel and needing a way to smash/dig my way out! ;-)

Also, about a year or two ago I won a brand new PalmPilot in a draw. It was pretty swanky and definitely would've helped me organize my busy social schedule with its high-tech features. But did I ever use the damn thing? Nope. I turned it on a few times but it was way too complex for me. I had to plug it into a computer and download/upload stuff, and yeah...it was just way too much effort. I felt like I couldn't be bothered. I was (and still do) prefer a *hand-written* agenda on PAPER rather than anything electronic. And I don't think I'll ever upgrade past that, no matter how user-friendly/gimp-proof the latest gadgets become.

It's the same with cameras too. At the moment I have just a simple 'point-and-click' camera and I'm quite content with just that. Everybody and their dog these days has a digital camera and I'm just not into those things. Sure I'll admit that they're handy and convenient and kinda fun to use cause you can see your photo right away, but I don't think I'd do well with one. I'd constantly be afraid that I'd accidentally hit the wrong button and delete like 200 pics or something. And then they'd be gone forever and I'd be so mad at myself! And it just gets so complicated when you gotta download them (on my archaic computer especially, and what do I do when I leave Korea and no longer have a computer of my own?) plus I really like to have my photos in physical, tangible
form, not just in pixels on a screen. But I must admit that the pressure to cave in and get one of these digital cameras does grow with each passing day...

It's not that I fear or dislike change (in fact I crave it) but I just don't have the patience for keeping up with new technology and having to learn how to do stuff all over again. I'd rather just do it myself by hand, nine times out of ten. This is the complete opposite of my good friend Henry who is a TECHNO WIZARD! Man, that boy is always at least seven steps ahead of the game when it comes to techy stuff. He's one smart cookie who *always* has a new electronic toy to show off. And that just is so not me.

Korea is pretty tech-savvy, of which I am not. Luckily my cell phone here (still running for free!) is pretty simple, or god knows it would just sit in my desk drawer collecting dust. But hey at least I'm honest and upfront about this kind of stuff. I'm pretty helpless/impatient when it comes to technology (also, I've yet to be able to change the clock on a VCR - ever!) But it gets me thinking, if this is what I'm like when I'm 26, dear lord what am I gonna be like in another 10-20 years? Scary thoughts!!

Feel free to call me 'Gramps!' ;-)

1 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

For someone who is supposed to be techno clueless you used pixels properly in a sentence! And to fill you in and dispel a digital camera myth - You CAN print the pictures just the same way you print pictures from a roll of film! I work in a lab and we do that ALL day long. They don't have to be just pixels on a screen. With digital you have SO many options!!! We can even print photos on canvas now and you can hang them on your wall like a work of art! Buy a digital camera Scotty while they are still cheap!!! Once you get back home they will be SUPER expensive. I told you that you don't have to download them to your computer you just have to go to a photo lab and have the pictures burned to a CD. From the CD you can either email and print at home or have a photo lab make pictures for you. So many options!!!!

2:27 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home