*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Day 257: City Stats

At work today one of my coworkers, Tim, gave me a sheet full of really cool stats that he printed off from online. It's a list of every single city on the planet that has a population of a million or more. And in case you're curious, there's 416 of them. Wow, that's a lot! The stats are pretty cool (at least for urban planning geeks like myself) and for your own interest here's the Top Ten - do you rank among them?

1) Tokyo - 33.8 million (shit that's more than all of Canada!)
2) Mexico City - 22.1 million
3, 4) (tied) Seoul and New York City - each at 21.8 million (wow I live in #3!)
5) Sao Paulo - 19.9 million
6) Mumbai (Bombay) - 19.1 million
7) Delhi - 18.6 million
8) Los Angeles - 17.7 million
9) Osaka - 16.7 million (who knew Osaka was so big? I sure didn't)
10) Jakarta - 16.6 million

For all my buddies scattered throughout the world, here's where you rank:

*For Marcio in Rio de Janeiro - you're #20 at 11.9 million
*For Steven, Matt, Adam, and Eric in London - you boys are also tied at 11.9 million strong
*For my same-name buddy Scott in Chicago - congrats, you're # 26 with 9.7
*For Becky who lives on the outskirts of San Francisco - you're #35, 7.3 million baby
*For Benny, Elaine, Craig and Kate who live in the loved and loathed city of Toronto, Canada's biggest city places globally at #58 with 5.1 million
*My Nana lives in Phoenix, #84 at 3.8 million
*For all my Seattle buddies - Toby, Stephen, Arion, and Alicia - the Emerald City pulls in at #87 with 3.7
*For Jason, J-P, Christina and Andre who live in Canada's coolest city - Montreal - you're at #90 with 3.6
*Hey Ryan in Kaohsiung, Taiwan! You're at #121 with 2.9 million
*And of course I can't forget all my many, many friends (and sis!) who live in the greatest city on the planet - VANCOUVER - who hold the #171 spot with 2.2 million
*For Joey in Liverpool, you Scouser you, you're at #302 with 1.4 million
*For Jakub and Jarek in Prague - the next major stop on The S2H World Tour - pull in at #323 with 1.3 million
*I don't have any friends in Ottawa, but Canada's capital is #367 with 1.1 million
*Which is just ahead of Mark and Rolly in Calgary at #388 with just over 1 million
*Canada's last city to rank the charts is for my other friend Scott who lives in Deadmonton, errr....Edmonton, placing #408 at also just over 1 million

For all my other friends out there who didn't get mentioned...sorry...you just don't live anywhere that placed on this chart, baby! And if I forgot anyone who lives in a major urban centre that I somehow forgot to place here, big apologies to you - and please let me know who and where you are! ;-)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about Beijing? B.

11:56 p.m.

 
Blogger brappy said...

I think I missed HK on that list... who knew vancouver was bigger than Seattle? heh... :-P

7:36 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um... Hello... Sydney has GOT to place on that list. And while TECHNICALLY Wollongong is it's own city, lets face it, it's the armpit of Sydney. The armpit with a couple fantastic beaches of course! Where do I rank Scotty?
Jenn

7:27 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seattle? Hello? Actually I'm a big fan of that site (www.citypopulation.de) so I already know how Vancouver and Seattle stack up. (Population isn't everything.) But then, I'm a big nerd and this should not come as a surprise to anyone.

5:07 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seattle? Hello? Actually I'm a big fan of that site (www.citypopulation.de) so I already know how Vancouver and Seattle stack up. (Population isn't everything.) But then, I'm a big nerd and this should not come as a surprise to anyone.

Marshall

5:07 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home