*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Day 339: Squirrel Fright

We had a Writing Contest at school and each class got a different type of writing assignment. A winner will be picked from each class, and then one from the whole school. They were all due today so I had quite a lot of extra reading to do. I really didn't mind though, in fact I actually thoroughly enjoyed it. My students produced some quality work, and some of the stories were absolutely hilarious.

There's one that was so fucking funny I was honestly laughing and crying at the same time while reading it. My Grade 4's had to write a Personal Narrative and this is the winning entry for that class. Once you read it you'll understand why I just *had* to choose it. Here is the unedited version of "Squirrel Fright" by Julie, the best piece of English work by a Korean student that I've come across yet.


The time I lived in America, I also had a chance to visit Canada, too. We went to Seattle, Boston, Vancouver, and many other wonderful places. But the place I could never forget was Banff. At first, it seemed to be a normal trip. But, it wasn't at all.

It was the day after we arrived at Banff. We were resting in the house we were planning to stay. Mom was in the kitchen, and Dad and Steve, my brother, were watching television at the living room. Then next to them, I was writing something on a piece of paper. Suddenly I got hungry and started looking for food. The only food I found after looking in every bag, were some bread. I started to eat them right away. On the second thought, I remembered seeing squirrels at the garden last night. I headed right toward the door with the bread I had found in my hand.

I couldn't see any squirrels so I started to whistle. Then two squirrels came out of my whistle. So I stopped whistling and gave out my bread to the squirrels. It was okay. Because I was not supposed to give food to wild animals, and there was n one around me. One squirrel sat still and waited for me to give the bread more. But the other squirrel kept jumping. The squirrel that was jumping came closer and closer to me as I kept giving them my bread. I got a bit frightened.

Just then, the squirrel jumped right into my chest where I was holding my bread. I was so suprised and scared, I threw a piece of bread to the squirrel that was sitting, and made the other squirrel that was on my chest let go. Finally, I started to run toward the house where my family were. Even though I ran at full speed, the swift squirrel kept chasing me as I ran. At last, I arrived at the door of the houe our family was staying. The squirrel was a little far away. But the door didn't open. I began screaming. Dad said that the door was opened. It still wouldn't open. I screamed again. Then Mom said, "I locked it." This time I yelled, "Well, then open it!!!" Clunk! The door went opened. I had finally went into the house. I was safe.

After that situation, I started to get scared when I heard about squirrels in Banff. After all, the thing I got was 'squirrel fright'. Thank god, I'm only scared of Banff squirrels. THE END.


That story, I just had to share it with all of my coworkers. They all thought it was absolutely hysterical as well. I think my friend Barb will especially get a kick out of it, considering that she was once attacked by a squirrel herself! Who knew that Canadian squirrels were so dangerous? ;-)


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing the story...i feel her pain! I hope she is not scared for life now! LOL B.

1:13 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home