*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Sunday, December 12, 2004

Day 293: You've Got To Read This

I've been able to do a lot of reading since moving to Korea, and have thus read some truly amazing books. I don't get a chance to sit down and read as much as I would like to in recent months (work and my social life keep me really busy) but still find a bit of time here and there. I've also bought quite a few books in the last year or so, and so my little library here keeps on growing. I have more books than I have time to read, but yet I keep buying more. And I'm pretty proud of my collection. I've got a variety of reading material from a variety of authors and genres, and plan to keep on adding more.

One question I love to ask people, and particularly enjoy doing this on dates, is "what is your favourite book?" You can tell a lot about a person by how they respond to this question, and what book they answer with. I know which one is mine - "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho. I've talked about a book a number of times in this blog and it still holds the place of being my personal favourite. I've read it a number of times, usually every time I'm going through a major change in my life as I find it very inspiring and strengthening. Other amazing books that I've read in the last year include:

-"Life of Pi" by Yann Martel
-"Fast Food Nation" (I forget the author's name)
-"White Oleander" by Janet Fitch
-"The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
-"Catch Me If You Can" by Frank W. Abagnale and
-"The Clash of Civilizations & The Remaking of World Order" by Samuel P. Huntington

I'm currently reading (and thoroughly enjoying) Paulo Coelho's latest, entitled "Eleven Minutes", and have quite the cool line-up to follow - "The Mother Tongue" by Bill Bryson, "The Geography of Thought" by Richard E. Nisbett, "The Importance of Being Earnest" by Oscar Wilde, "Vanity Fair" by William Makepeace Thackeray and "The Action Hero's Handbook" by David and Joe Borgenicht. Man, there's just not enough time to do all the reading I'd love to!

What I'd love to know is what is YOUR favourite book? I'm always looking to expand my library, and what better way than to read the personal favourites of all of my friends? So please take a second and add a comment leaving me the title and author of your favourite book. Something that I've just got to read. And hey maybe it'll end up on my book shelf in the near future!

3 Comments:

Blogger Benoit said...

You have to read Silk by Alessandro Baricco...

6:19 p.m.

 
Blogger Cindy said...

I can't narrow it down at the moment...I need to give it more thought but I would recommend reading The Giver by Lois Lowry, Mercy Among the Children by David Adams Richards.

3:11 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out an author called Greg Iles. I have read two of his books so far, and they were both very exciting. One was called "The Footprints of God" and it was a scientific/political thriller that I couldn't put down. I can't remember the name of the other one but it followed a family over 24 hours when their daughter had been kidnapped by a crazy guy. I read that book in less than a day, 8 hours I think, because I couldn't put it down. It may have been called "Trapped". I highly recommend them both.

5:35 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home