*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Day 279: Crossing Over

Tonight was a great night!

I had my biggest dinner party yet and it was a total blast! I had a record seven (7) people over for our weekly Thurday Night Dinner & Cranium Party, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that everyone fit into my little apartment. There was myself, Addie, Katie, Michael, his date YoungSeok, Cora, and her co-worker Melissa. Wow!

Michael cooked up a storm tonight, only this time with a Thai theme. We had super spicy chicken curry, some pad thai, Thai rice, a soup whose name I forget but it has mushrooms and lemongrass in it, and for dessert some delicious fruit with cold coconut milk. YUM! We all gorged down on the delicious meal and as a result there was seven very happy tummies.

Cranium was hilarious as always. I was a bit worried at first that YoungSeok wouldn't have fun with the game since English is not his first language and Cranium is riddled with Western pop culture, celebrity references, and complex English expressions and idioms. However, he did a great job and seemed to be really enjoying himself. The one moment where I realized he'd have no problem at all is when some Disney reference was brought up and then next thing I knew everyone (minus Melissa and I) were belting out 'The Little Mermaid's' "Part Of Your World" - WORD FOR WORD! I guess Disney crosses over easily to many cultures around the world and seems to ignore cultural and language barriers to become imbedded in the minds of kids the world over. I hate Disney (that's a whole other entry) but I was impressed with this fact via tonight's vivid demonstration.

Either stories about precocious mermaids longing for love above the ocean's surface appeals to all of humanity on some basic level, or Disney is an absolute master at mass-marketing/brain-washing its products and values and culture to kidss across the globe. Your guess is as good as mine.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't be dissin' The Little Mermaid, brother or you'll have me and Jenn after you!

9:29 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home