*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Day 273: Messing With Their Heads

Katie and I are playing a joke on two of our classes, and it's been a very funny, escalating trick that has no end currently in sight. During one of our afternoon blocks we teach right across the hall from each other. I don't even remember exactly how all of this got started but I guess one day we were walking down the hall to our respective classrooms together and some of her kids thought that it looked like we were boyfriend and girlfriend.

Now one thing you need to know is that *every* Korean child/teenager is a very eager beaver matchmaker. Every student I've ever had is *always* curious to know if I have a girlfriend and every single female in my social circle is automatically my suspect girlfriend. It's quite funny actually, cause they never ever give up on this and just seem to be dying to hook me up with someone. Ohhhh, you funny kids...

Well anyways Katie and I decided to play up this little rumour a bit. The next time we taught that class we actually walked down the hall to the classrooms arm in arm. A couple of both her and my students caught eye of this and MY GOD you should've heard the SCREAMS of ecstacy and joy and complete and utterly uncontrollable excitement that erupted from their throats! It was if finally all of their suspicions had 'been comfirned' and this was like the dream moment that they've been yearning to 'catch us in' all semester long. For the first 10 minutes of my class the kids couldn't stop talking about it they thought it was so huge that they saw this!

Well we've kept this up and now it's reached a whole other level. Most of our classes now actually wait either outside in the hall for a glimpse, or starting today, wait right outside the teachers room with eager anticipation of catching a glimpse of Poly's new 'it couple.' As Katie and I walked down the hall several of them had actually brought cameras to take our pictures and catch us in a moment of brief hallway togetherness. Walking down the hall with like a dozen Grade 4's running around screaming in excitement, calling your name, and taking your picture was pretty hilarious and it totally felt like I was being bombarded by fans and the paparazzi!

Katie and I find this hilarious and enjoy the attention, but we'll have to burst their bubble eventually and let them know that it's not for real. I actually tell my kids everyday that "we're just friends" but they never believe me. LOL. Looks like this joke has taken on a life of its own now! Maybe we need to have a big dramatic breakup in the hall to end the soap opera? Haha! I'm having too much fun with this so don't count on this to end anytmie soon. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home