*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Day 278: Fighting It

"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas..."

Okay there's no snow here yet and I'm not in Canada so it doesn't really feel like Christmas is coming at all (at least not in the traditional sense for me), but THE holiday of the year is quickly approaching, and I'm trying desperately to hold off on it.

Now don't get me wrong. I love Christmas! LOVE IT! But there's a time and place for everything, right? I've always believed that not a festive bow nor piece of holly should be seen prior December 1st, nor should a single Christmas carol be heard before that official* start date. But, most retailers and malls of the world seem to severely disagree with me on that one. In fact, I was in Burger King on Halloween and was shocked and horrified to see that not only was the restaurant fully decked out in gawdy holiday decorations, but they were blasting "Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer" at rock concert-level decibals. And again, on HALLOWEEN! What the...!?

Well it's a war that I've been losing as department stores here already have put up their Christmas displays, and Wal-Mart has dragged out all the Christmas crap to sell. And this is all surprising considering that even though there's a lot of Christians in Korea, it's still not that big of a holiday here. Or so I've been told (falsely?)

The official nail in the coffin on my attempt to hold back the Christmas tide came this week when it was announced that I had to choose a Christmas carol for my preschoolers to sing for the annual POLY Christmas concert. I haven't formally chosen a song yet, but I'm pretty sure I'd like to do 'Jingle Bell Rock' with my Parrots. Could be fun. Without any choice in the matter, that song has been in my head all week long and I've even begun singing it in the shower avec my "Be Your Own Pop Star In The Shower" Korean Shower Head**

sigh...

Is it time to hand in my official concession notice? Should I give a speech of honourable defeat? (or just continue practicing my daily morning wet 'n wild version of Jingle Bell Rock?) :-)

*as designated by the officials of The S2H World Tour

** aka: just a regular shower head

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote for Santa's super sleigh... it's an xmas classic.. 10 bonus points if you no where it comes from and whose father wrote it.

3:27 a.m.

 
Blogger brappy said...

SSS? I love that movie... ;-) except the duck part -- that's sad.

S2H: You'll be happy to know that on Nov. 2 at my local super-gay Starbucks, the "Dia de Los Muertos" (Mexican day of the dead) stuff went down and boo-yeah the christmas crap went up. At other starbucks, the crappy CDs have arrived and are being played. (My starbucks has been corrupted by the Hear Music doodad)...

The baristas have begun having mysterious "accidents" involving "flames" and "melting" when they put their new CDs in the Muzak box. How odd... [At least that's what my sources tell me...]

6:18 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home