*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Monday, April 11, 2005

Day 409: Interpret This

So call me crazy, but I think my subconscious may be trying to send me messages from the great beyond. (ie: my inner thoughts that only come out when I'm sleeping...) And apparently these messages all seem to have one common theme. And that theme is Delany's on Denman.

Delany's is the coffee house in Vancouver that I worked at for four years before departing the home country. It was a great job and I really did enjoy it, but it was definitely time to leave when I left. I was Assistant Manager at that point and was making, well, okay money I guess, but it wasn't all that challenging and it certainly did nothing in the way of nourishing my soul. Nourishing my love of great coffee, oh yes indeedy, but nothing that was 'The Alchemist' worthy in terms of pursuing my Personal Legend or anything like that.

But yet, I can't stop dreaming about it! Honestly, it's almost every night now...

And all the dreams are essentially the same. It's my first day back in Vancouver after being away for god-knows-how-long, and all I can think of is getting down to Delany's to see how the ol' coffee joint is doing. There's always this urgent need, this near-desperation, of having to go there right away, accompanied with a knot in my stomach over the excitement of just strolling in unannounced and seeing who's there and checking out how it all looks. Seriously, the crescendo of anticipation as I walk through those doors is almost unbearable.

But then all that excitement comes to an immediate crashing end. I walk through, but either no one is there who recognizes me at all, or those who do could not care less that I'm there. My old bosses barely blink an eye that I've magically reappeared back into their world after being gone for so long, and neither my old coworkers or customers even want to chat me up. They couldn't be more blase about my presence. In a few of the dreams I even throw on a Delany's t-shirt and get back to work behind the counter in an effort to make myself noticed, but even that doesn't raise an eyebrow. I've been all but erased from care or concern. "Oh what's that? Scottie Too Hottie's back in town? Whatever? Pass me another bag of espresso please."

Apparently I've left some unattended mental baggage back at the old coffee house. I don't miss that job, nor do I feel at all like returning home to Vancouver, but I guess I'm worried about being forgotten in my past life...? (despite forging ahead on the World Tour at full-speed ahead...) Hmmm...it's food for thought anyway.

1 Comments:

Blogger brappy said...

I have a job that sticks with me like that too. It's weird. I don't know how to let go... but I don't know what I'm holding on to. Highly confusing.

6:31 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home