*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Monday, March 28, 2005

Day 401: Sinchon

I slept in waaaay longer today than I had planned, and no surprise there given what I was up to last night. ;-) Although Pauline and I finally stirred around 1 in the afternoon, we didn't actually get showered and dressed until after 3pm. We spent half the afternoon just hanging out in bed chatting about all sorts of things. Lazy asses!!!

By the time we were all cleaned up and ready to head out into the world, it was nearly 4pm. I had the biggest craving you can possibly imagine for a Subway sandwich (it has been several months since I've had one) and wasn't gonna rest until I got my hands on one. Pauline lives in Hongdae which is right next to Sinchon, where we had heard rumours of a Subway there. With a little direction from Paul we were able to find it, and I was soooo happy to chow down on a massive foot long. Mmmm.... The power of food really is quite the motivating factor for me in this world!

Pauline and I wandered around for a bit before parking ourselves at Starbucks for the rest of the afternoon. Sinchon probably is the coolest part of Seoul and really is my favourite neighbourhood to hang out in. Sinchon is one of the hippest and most fashionable districts in the city. And also as a result one of the busiest. At least three *major* universities are nearby and so its the student population that dictates the vibes of Sinchon. Everyone is young and relaxed and in good spirits and dressed all-so-funkily and just out to have fun with their friends. It's great because it's also quite a mixed neighbourhood of both locals and foreigners, but it's not the sleazy obnoxious white trash military foreigners, but rather the cool English Teachers (the ones cool enough to know about Sinchon, the trashy teachers also hang out in Itaewon with all the GI's) as well as plenty of exchange students studying at the nearby universities. As a foreigner you can actually walk down the street and not get gawked at by the locals, and aren't repulsed by the whities that you do run into. Sinchon is full of eclectic little stores, hole-in-the-wall record stores, kitschy clothing and shoe vendors, a thousand eateries including all the major chains, the requisite Starbucks, a plethora of bars and nightclubs (incl. My Institution, The Bar) and also Korea's one and only Krispy Kreme. Seriously, what more could you want in a neighbourhood? I love that place!

Pauline and I stayed for a few hours talking about travel in Vietnam and then it was time to part ways. I took a bus to LaFesta and met up with Katie, Jessica, and Addie. We went to a DVD bang and saw an *AMAZING* movie called The Motorcycle Diaries. It was awesome!!! Seriously, the best film I've seen in possibly years, and you really do need to see this movie! A great end to a truly great weekend! ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home