*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Day 298: Going Postal

I was so proud of myself today! Today, for the first time ever since arriving in Korea, I went and *mailed off packages* to back home! Woohoo! The postal system is intimidating in any country, even your own. But in a foreign country, under a foreign language, with foreign policies, it's all the more daunting. I had successfully managed to avoid the Korean postal system all these months, but today I could hold out now more. I had two boxes of Christmas gifts that needed to be sent, or they really wouldn't arrive before Christmas.

I didn't even know where the nearest postal outlet was, so during afternoon prep time Addie took me down to the closest one. The whole process ended up being much easier than I thought it would be. I've heard a couple horror stories about various frustrations that friends have had trying to mail stuff here in Korea, but luckily for me I didn't experience any of that today.

If anything, the experience was rather amusing. The lady helping me had decided that it was better if my two boxes were sent as one package in a single giant box. But, alas, she could not find a box large enough to fit both of them. This did not deter her, however, and she seemed *utterly convinced* that she could defy the laws of physics and fit both of my boxes into some box, ANY box, that she could find in the postal outlet. She tried over and over again to fit the boxes in, trying different sides and angles, and pulling out any large box she could find. It was like watching a seven-year old attempt a Rubix cube! After many, many failed attempts at this, she sighed a big sad breath of frustration and finally gave in.

And so my two, separate, boxes of Christmas goodies are now on their way to Thunder Bay. Yah for me! :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home