*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Sunday, August 22, 2004

Day 187: Birthday Boy

So I woke up this morning to find myself another year older today. Today is my 26th birthday! 26 already??? What the hell? Where did all those years go? Man, time flies by so fast!! I still remember my teenage years as if they were just last summer, and my early 20's at university feels like it was barely a month ago. Now here I am, 26 years old, been out of university for two and a half years, out of high school for seven and a half years, and now living on the far corner of the Earth. Crazy! :-) I've now officially crossed over into the 'Upper 20's' Region of Age - does this mean that I have to grow up sometime soon? LOL. ;-)

I walked into class today and had all my pre-schoolers wish me happy birthday and then run up and hug me. I had told them like a week ago that today was my birthday and they had been counting down the days in class ever since. Not sure why they're so excited about it but it's so cute anyway!! I even got a couple cards from some of them that they had made, and Brian even brought me a present (a really nice set of Korean coasters - cool!!)

I got a great surprise during fourth block today. I walked into class and all the lights were off. Suddenly they came on and out jumped all my kids, along with Cecilia my Korean assistant and Iris the school counsellor. They had a big birthday cake all lit up with candles and then proceeded to sing me Happy Birthday. They gave me a special birthday hat to wear and then Cecelia gave me a big bag of Korean candies and goodies. So sweet!!! We all had cake together and then took a couple class photos together. I LOVE MY KIDS!!! The funny thing is that the cake was actually from Eugene's Mom! (the Screamer!) Wow - what a nice surprise! :-)

Just after lunch I was awarded with another wonderful birthday surprise! We had a surprise "staff meeting" just after lunch and when it was Meeting Time suddenly all the lights went off again, and yet another birthday cake was brought in for me from all my coworkers and bosses! WOW - two cakes in one day!!! This one was even an ice cream cake from Baskin Robbins - awesome!!! Everyone sang to me again and then it was once again time to gorge down on the yummy cake. I even got a little birthday present from Sally & Jason - a box of Kraft Dinner and Jamiroquai's Greatest Hits!!! YAH!!!! :-)

My entire afternoon actually turned into one long birthday party! I had told all my elementary-aged kids about my upcoming birthday as well so we decided to have a Snack Party in each of my classes. A Snack Party is where each kid brings in some snack or treat to share with everyone else - usually chips, cookies, crackers, or something like that. So essentially this afternoon I had SIX little birthday parties all for me. Man, I never had so much junk good in my life! Haha!! I decided to make it Game Day as well so we played Hang Man and Pictionary in all my classes while chowing down on the variety of treats that each student had brought. It was a totally fun day for all the kids and for me and a great way to celebrate my birthday. I got tons of cards and little presents from all my afternoon kids too - pens and paper, tea cups, baskets of candy, chocolates, crocheted cell-phone trinkets, key chains, and even a Buddhist frog bell to hang in my apartment. I felt so special! :-)

After work I was coming down after my super sugar high and was feeling pretty tired. I deciced to have a quiet night at home since not only was my actual birthday celebration gonna be this Saturday, but I had a ton of report cards to grade. I was awarded with another great surprise tonight - a surprise phone call from my good friend Laura who lives all the way in Halifax. We had a nice little chat and it was great to hear a voice from the home country on my birthday.

All in all it was an excellent birthday and definitely one I'll never forget!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home