*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Thursday, June 24, 2004

Day 129: Killing Machines

Today was the last day that Barbara and Ellie were in town so I wanted to hang out with them one last time and show them some more of Seoul. I've only known the girls a short time but I feel like we've all become good buddies! They're tons of fun and really nice people - I wish they lived here! :-)

We met up around 1:30pm and took the subway into Seoul. Our whole plan was to visit the Korean War Memorial but that was shot to hell when we arrived there. I had totally forgotten that all museums and palaces are closed in Korea on Mondays!! We arrived to see that the doors were locked - no museum tour today. However, it wasn't a complete loss... On one side of the ginormous museum is a large outdoor military display that's open even if the inside of the museum is not. It's basically a yard full off many 'military leftovers' from the Korean War. SO COOL!

We spent a good while checking out all the war machinery and it was fascinating to explore it and see it all up close. They had giant bombers and transports and fighter planes, as well as tanks of every size, shape and colour. They also had howitzers and missile launchers, and even a small submarine, all on display. A lot of this kind of war machinery I've never seen before up close, and even though it's all from the 1950's and therefore pretty outdated, it was fascinating nonetheless. It was definitely an example of how 'intelligent' man is, and all the creative ways that we invent to kill each other off. Kinda sad really when you think about it. So much money and resources go into these killing machines - what a waste! It's depressing that we live in a world that still needs armies and military forces - or maybe it's just a world where we're *led to believe* that we need these armies and military forces? Imagine what life would be like if the nations of the planet devoted as much of our time, money, and resources towards causes that actually IMPROVE human life, for all! What a different world we'd be living in... To be greedy and fearful and to kill is to be human?

After checking out the military stuff we decided to go and do some shopping (but a quick Starbucks break was needed first, of course!) Because I'm starting a new job soon and don't have a lot of work clothes that are comfortable for summer, I decided to do a little shopping for myself, for once. I bought a new pair of khakis and 3 new work shirts, as well as two fun T-shirts for myself - all at a really cool store called EigenPost (sounds German to me, not Korean!) After I did my shopping the girls bought some more gifts for friends back at home in Insadong, and then it was time for dinner.

We went for our last meal together at TGI Friday's and had a great meal together. After that it was time for us to separate - the girls were heading back to Shihung and I was heading out to Ilsan for the night because I had to be at Poly bright and early the next morning. We said our goodbyes in the subway station and it was sad to see them go - I'm really gonna miss hanging out with them!

I went out to Steve's to spend the night and we stayed up late quizzing each other with trivia questions. Our appearance on The Contenders has been confirmed for June 30 so we gotta get ready for that! I can't wait to be on the show - it's gonna be a blast!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home