*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Friday, April 30, 2004

Day 77: Kids Stuff

So it was a bit of sad morning today. It's Friday and it's the last day of teaching for the kindergartens. The whole morning was saddening, yet anti-climatic at the same time. There was no goodbye party, no presents to send the kids off, no formal 'good luck at your next school' shindig. Just regular classes, and that was it. I'm not even sure if all of them know (or understand) that on Monday they'll be at a new school with new teachers, because none of them seemed upset by today's significance. Maybe it's better that way - it would be harder for me to say goodbye if they were all in tears and stuff.... I'm really going to miss those kids... :-(

One of my elementary students, James, is always bringing 'interesting' things to class to share with everybody. And it's always some strange creature. Last week he brought in a jar that had this GIANT BEETLE in it! The thing was huge and gross-looking and smelled so bad, but he was so excited to show it off to everybody. I have no idea where he got the thing from (it's certainly not a 'local' beetle - it's far too large) but the whole time I was teaching, and watching that giant insect press itself against the plastic, I just kept hoping that it wouldn't get out.... There's no way in hell I'm going to go and pick up that thing if it gets out! ;-) This week he brought in a pet snail...just a tiny one....but still odd to bring to school anyways. I imagine him being the kind of boy that his room full of bugs and other odd creatures - a mini little 'zoo' full of stuff brought home from science class, and stuff found in the park across the street. His Mom must love* cleaning out his room and finding all these little treasures** that James brings home.

* = be continually horrified and is currently seeking therapy for it
** = disgusting things she won't touch with a ten-foot pole or even her SuperPowerVac3000

Anyways Monday is the first day of all the new changes. The schedule is still being sorted out, but I don't start my day now until the Grade 1 class, at 1:30pm! Even though some adults have signed up already for the super early morning classes, Steven is taking care of them, it seems. Maybe I won't be asked to get up at some ungodly hour to teach? I don't know if the evening classes have been put together yet, but I'd be much more receptive to those.
I guess I'll find out who and when I teach on Monday. Should be interesting!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home