*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Friday, April 30, 2004

Day 76: My Sister, Celine

So another new pop song was introduced this week here at school, and yes, it was the internationally loved and loathed Quebec chanteuse, Miss Celine Dion. Even before Steven told me what song of hers had been chosen, I already had the sickening feeling in my stomach that I already knew which one...

Yes, you're right, it's My Heart Will Go On.

...and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on....

That song probably wins the title of the most overplayed song in radio history, so having it come back to haunt me here in Korea is like uncovering an audio skeleton in my Canadian closet. (Actually, according to VH1, My Heart Will Go On is the second-most played song in the history of radio. Any guesses as to which song is the first? I'll give you a clue - it's a song from the 80's, sung by a British band who's lead singer later went solo - and is still producing albums today - and a remake of this song was done in 1997 by Puff Daddy. You should be able to guess it now...)

Anyways, the kids were thrilled that this song had been chosen. I guess Titanic was as huge in Korea as it was in North America and they were all very excited to watch the video. The funny thing was that most of them already knew all the words to the song, even though all of them would have been between the ages of 1 and 6 when that movie came out, back in 1997. I guess Titanic's (and Celine's) success has been going on and on, well past 97!

Anyways, while watching the video I told them that Celine Dion was Canadian, and this also got the kids very excited. Their next question was whether or not I knew her. I told them she was my sister...and the funny thing is they all believed it!!! The entire class went absolutely hysterical when I told them this (especially the girls) and if I had virtual celebrity status before, well I definitely had super stardom celebrity status after this 'secret' was revealed to them!

I let this joke go for about two days and then I started to feel a little bit guilty for messing with their heads, so I told them that no she wasn't my sister, but actually....my ex-girlfriend!!! Once again, they bought it (hook, line, and sinker! Wow these kids are so trusting and gullible!) and I had celebrity status for another day. Well yesterday I finally confessed that she's not related to me at all, and that I've never met (nor dated) her. This was a bit surprising for the kids, but they didn't seem too disappointed over it anyways. It actually caused a good laugh amongst the class!

Another thing amusing about this song, is in the video there's clips from the movie, and one of the clips is a brief flash of when Leo and Kate were getting it on in the car on the boat. Well all my kids are still at the age where anything remotely sexy sends them into a fit where they cover their eyes, hide their faces, and squeal out in protest! Every time this part of the video comes on, it's the same high-pitched feverish reaction - every single time. I get a kick out it anyways, watching them squirm.

Too funny!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home