*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Day 74: Fragile

So I can't express to you enough how frustrating it is not being able to use the internet at home! This fucking virus has rendered my computer near useless and I feel so helpless about it. I'm not very good with computers myself but have tried numerous options to try and get it up and running again. The fact that everything is in Korean makes it especially difficult. Trying to figure stuff out is like trying to feel your way out of a dark room, at best.

Last night I somehow managed to get Messenger working briefly, and it was on there I ran into my dear friend Cindy in Thunder Bay. Her and I spent a good 2 hours plus fiddling around with stuff (she guided me on what to try via our conversation on Messenger, and I also had her on the phone!) Well no matter what we tried we couldn't seem to get things back up and running. The virus has apparently been quarantined in my computer, but Explorer is still royally fucked up. We even tried re-installing Explorer...but nothing seems to work. :-(

At this point I've given up on the damn thing. It's obvious that I'm not going to be able to fix the situation myself (even with the guidance of a computer expert, from thousands of kilometres away.) I'll have to go to Steven and ask him for help, which will probably mean either having someone professional come in and fix it, or have the computer sent somewhere. I'm hoping for a quick solution but chances are I'll be without home internet access for quite some time.

I FEEL SO PARALYZED WITHOUT MY COMPUTER!!!

This is both extremely stressful and amusing to me. Having internet at home gives me access to my email, my friends online, my blog....it's my connection to the outside world. Having that removed leaves me feeling disconnected, disenchanted, and downright bored at home! I've been having to use the computer at the office after school hours and it's been a real pain in the ass. I've been stressed lately because of what's going on at work and having no computer just compounds everything! Argh!

It's amusing to me at the same time because it so clearly illustrates how dependent we silly humans are on these fickle machines. One little virus has left me with no computer access at all and makes me feel so frustrated I'm foaming at the mouth. It sort of reminds me of last summer when one little overheated electrical switch in Ohio left half of North America without power for several days.

We really do live in a fragile world. Our technological creations are amazing and brilliant and have given us so many luxuries and possibilities in life, but their failure leaves us completely helpless and lost. It really is a knife that cuts both ways. We are so dependent upon these stupid/wonderful machines for carrying out our day-to-day lives that we can barely function without them. It's an amusing and frustrating situation at its smallest scale, extremely disruptive and potentially dangerous at the largest scale.

Anyway, in the meantime please be patient with me. The blog will likely be sporadic for the next little while, and it may take me a while to get back to personal emails. And I also apologize to everyone who's conversation on Messenger I may have abandoned suddenly in the last few days. Really, it's not my fault!!!

Argh!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home