*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Sunday, April 18, 2004

Day 65: More Lazy Days

Another wonderful lazy day! Andrea cooked french toast for Steve, Brad and I this morning and it was really yummy - another Western treat that I have not had in ages. Steve then went and met up with Megan (I've recently been informed that they're secretly dating - hehe!) and we all made plans to meet up in Seoul later on. Brad, Andrea and I got showered and packed up and then took the bus back into the city.

We went to Yeouido Island to just go and hang out and watch Jess play ultimate frisbee with her team. Steve and Megan were already there when we got there, and Kelsey joined us later on as well. It was kinda dark today from clouds and a lot of air pollution but it was still really warm outside. Brad, Steve and I played several hours of frisbee and it was awesome! One of the girls from the practicing ultimate teams tried to recruit us to come and play with them but we were all too self-conscious to go and play 'with the pros' so we just had our own fun on the sides. I actually think it would be kinda fun to join the Seoul Ultimate Frisbee League but as much as I enjoy tossing around a frisbee, I've never actually played 'Ultimate' before and aren't exactly the most athletic sporty kinda guy. Still, it does look like fun...

It was a great afternoon just hanging out in the park and chatting with everyone, and playing frisbee with the boys. Before we knew it it was late afternoon, so we all headed on over to Kyobo Bookshop to browse around there for a while. Kyobo is one of our favourite places in the city and it's the kind of store that you can visit often because you always find something new there. It's probably the biggest book store that I've ever seen in my life, but the Foreign Books section is quite small - the rest are all in Korean. After the bookstore it was time for - you guessed it! - ice cream and we wandered through this really cool outdoor art exhibit. Some artist has taken scarp pieces of metal and constructed giant 'warriors' based on the animals of all the Chinese Zodiac signs - really neat looking!!!

It was almost dinner time by then and the gang all had to head back to Ilsan. I said my goodbyes and decided to slowly make my way home by walking all the way to Seoul Station to catch my Line 1 train instead of just hopping on the nearest subway train. It was so pleasant to be outside and with all the blooming flowers and lilac trees it actually *smelled really nice* to be downtown! (This is something I almost never say as the smells of Korea tend to be...well...let's just say less pleasant than lilacs!) I walked down the street through the heart of downtown and it was fun just to take in all the hustle and bustle of Seoul. All the cars, the tall buildings, the historic statues and monuments, and the giant TV screen billboards make it exciting to just walk around. The TV screens are especially mesmerizing! They're bright and dazzling and constantly changing like a video game and are just so completely MASSIVE! At one intersection, while waiting for the light, I could actually see FOUR of these giant electronic media advertising phenomenas! It's like being in 'Back To The Future' or something!

When I got to Seoul Station I was starving for dinner so I went and had some rice and vegetables from the food court there (a full healthy delicious meal for only 5000Won - about $6 CDN!) and then took the train home. My weekends always go by SO FAST! I wish they lasted longer! It's not that I don't like my job or anything, but it's just that I have so much fun on the weekends that I really do live for them. This work week coming up is a full 5-dayer too - no holidays this week! Bleh! ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home