*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Tour Guide & The Tourists

The haunting Jan Hus Monument in the middle of Old Town Square.



It's funny... I lived in Korea for a year and a half and only ever had one foreign visitor come and see me. (Yah Henry!) I've been in Prague not even two months and I've already Played Host twice - and both times in the same month! LOL

Christening my role as Scotty: The Czech Tour Guide were my good buddies Brad and Andrea. For those h-core bloggie fans, you'll remember Brad and Andrea as being two of my best buds back in my early days in Korea. They also got married in Vancouver in August and I was lucky enough to be co-emcee at their wedding. Well here they are again - this time in the Czech Republic on their honeymoon.

It was wonderful to see BnA again, even if I had just seen them 6 weeks before in Canada. I consider them two of my closest friends - and easily hands down as two of the coolest people I've ever met. They were only here for a week but got to see and do a lot. And, like me - and everyone else who comes to Prague - fell head over heels in love with the city. Prague just may be the easiest city in the world in which to play Tour Guide.

And me saying this - and putting it into writing no less - is a really big deal, as this is a title which I had previously reserved exclusively for Vancouver. Well Vancouver, shuffle over a bit cause you're gonna have to share the crown now with Praha. I've said it before, I'll say it right now, and no doubt I'll say it again and again in the future: Prague is really fucking gorgeous. If we were in Zoolander right now, Ben Stiller would describe Prague as "really really REALLY ridiculously good-looking."

And he'd be absolutely right. In a recent official government survey, it was discovered that the average time it takes for a human being to fall madly crazy ridiculously dangerously in love with Prague is about 14 seconds. Well okay I'm exaggerating here... Officially, statistically, it takes a maximum of about 24 hours, but I think 14 seconds, from a personal point of view, is much more accurate. Where else in the world can you find a city consisting of mind-blowingly gorgeous architecture, centuries upon centuries of spell-binding history, a twisting maze of cobblestone streets, enormous midivel squares thrown here and there, a bevvy of museums and art galleries to fill a year's cultural schedule, a relaxed pace of life that encourages - no demands - you to meander rather than race, lush green foilage blanketing gentle rolling hills, a calm meandering river wrapping it's way through the city core, an ancient enchanting statue-lined bridge that is guaranteed to take away your breath each and every time you cross it, friendly (and attractive!) locals, delicious and inexpensive local cuisine, the best beer you'll find anywhere on the planet, and a 1500-year old castle - the world's largest as well - looming high on a hill to reign over it all?

Try to beat that combination! No, really, go ahead and try. I freaking dare you! (You really can't, can you?) Shut up and admit defeat now...it's so much easier - and feels really damn good - to just give in completely right now and hand your heart over to Prague on a silver platter.) So pretty much my job as a tour guide - and really it's a role that I can barely mask as I'm still fully a tourist myself - consists of just making sure that we don't get lost as we wander from one gorgeous landmark/bridge/square/church/vantagepoint to another. It's a pretty darn amazing job if you ask me!!

Round 2 of tourists came only a week later in the form of Jenn and Lisa. Jenn is a childhood friend as she's been my sister's best friend since we were little, and Lisa is a friend of Jenn's who I had the pleasure of meeting for the first time when she arrived. And, like Brad and Andrea, the girls were swept up in the magic that is the Czech capital. I think I heard the phrases "Oh my god oh my god oh my god", "Wow it's just so beautiful!" and "I can't believe you get to live here!!" about a million times in their short 3-day stay. Yes girls, it's true, Scotty is one lucky bastard indeed! :-)

Besides doing the usual Prague Circuit Highlights, which are centred around Old Town Square, Charles Bridge, and Prague Castle, the girls and I managed to take a day trip to hit up Karlstejn. Karlstejn is an ancient castle just outside of Prague hidden away in some quiet lush hills. Karlstejn was built by Charles IV about 7 or 800 years ago to house the crown jewels and keep the bad men at bay, and with it's sheer enormity, thick inpenetrable walls, and perilous hilltop perch it did a good job at that.

Karlstejn is also an extremely beautiful place. It's the kind of castle that you fathom about when you're a child. It's something so perfectly magical that even Disney couldn't dream up something this gorgeous. For castle-lovers like myself it's completely awe-inspiring and romantic. And for the locals it's a tourist cash cow like there never was before. Hordes upon hordes of tourists descend upon the poor castle for half the year, but luckily the girls and I arrived at the very end of the season, just before Karlstejn closes up for the winter, and there was nary a crowd in sight. And, once again, Mother Nature rewarded us with truly gorgeous weather. Man, ol' Momma N must've gotten some lately or something cause she's been in *such* a good mood lately and has been so very very kind and generous to the Czech Republic. Sweet!!!

So, not that I needed a reminder, but running around the city playing tourist with good friends was a really solid affirmation that I live in what just may be the most beautiful city I've ever laid eyes upon (sorry Vancouver...once again this is a title - and a place in my heart - that you now have to share from now on...) I wish that I could import each and every one of you - all my friends and family members back home - so that they could come and see it and experience it and feel it for yourselves.

If my stories aren't enough, then the pictures below will surely be more than enough to convince you to run immediately to your local travel agent and buy a (one-way?) ticket to Prague. And you know that Scotty loves visitors, so don't ever feel shy about coming to stay with me. I'd love to have you. Prague's here waiting for you, and you won't ever be the same once you've met her. Even Kafka admitted that "this little mother has claws." And you can't argue with good ol' Franz, can you? ;-)




Prague's Old Town is a labrinth of winding lanes and graceful historical buildings. And all roads lead to Old Town Square it seems...



Wow! So beautiful! Prague is an architect's dream - and a historian's!




Massive old buildings line the borders of the Square, while quaint (and over-priced) cafes and terraces bring life to the cobblestone streets.

The massive St.Vitus Cathedral soars high into the sky right out of the middle of Prague Castle.



"A million little red roofs, glistening in the morning dew..." :-)




Brad and Andrea - the handsome couple above it all!



Charles Bridge - crowded with tourists as always - connects Mala Strana with Prague's Old Town.



How adorable! BnA cuddle up along the banks of the Vltava River.




This is one of Prague's most famous (and youngest!) landmarks. Known as The Dancing House (and also nicknamed the Fred & Ginger Building) this unique structure - which looks like a female leaning in to her male dancing conterpart - was designed by Prague architect Vlado Milunic and internationally-renowned Frank O. Gehry. Quite a striking addition to Prague's cityscape and one up for constant debate as to it's visual appeal.



How cute! Lisa & Jenn pose - with cameras in hand, as always - on the Charles Bridge. Enormous Prague Castle looms high on the hill behind them.


One of the many statues of saints that line the ancient bridge.




Charles Bridge - Prague's most precious landmark - and perpetually drowning in vendors' stalls and uber-excited tourists.




The Prague skyline as seen from the Castle.


St. Vitus Cathedral is a combination of both Gothic and Baroque architectural styles.







Jenn & Lisa - absolutely thrilled to be in the Czech capital!







Prague Castle and Charles Bridge - sparkling jewels in the city's crown lit up at night.





Wow! The Czech countryside near Karlstejn is Gorgeous with a capital 'G!'




The tranquil Vltava River drifts under the bridge ever so peacefully.



Magical Karlstejn Castle rules the village from high above on the hill. Take that, Disney! ;-)



Scotty smiles for the camera, excited for the journey up to Karlstejn.



Jenn & Lisa making the big descent up the hill to the castle. Phew! What a climb it was!



Scott & Jenn inside the grounds of the enchanting Karlstejn Castle.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've found that, too! One visitor in Asia (well, two, but my brother was heading home from that side of the world), and now, here, both sets of parents are making plans, I've got one couple visiting, and others have made inquiries. Everyone's missing out on Asia! Well, their loss. The pictures are GORGEOUS, btw. I'm jealous!

5:42 p.m.

 
Blogger Gwan said...

Time for a new post, Scotty! I meeees you, send me an email xxxxxxxx Jo

1:08 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home