*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Sunday, September 12, 2004

Day 208: A Treasure Lost

I woke up today and it was pouring rain. P-O-U-R-I-N-G down in buckets! Addie and I normally walk to work but in those hurricane-like weather conditions we decided to take a cab this morning. I went and met Addie and we walked on over to the taxi stand together. We had to wait quite a while before an available cab came around (on rainy days they're always hard to find) but finally one did come and we rode on over to work.

Only seconds after we got into the cab I noticed that my wrist was bare - I was missing my treasured wristband! My wristband was a gift given to me by one of my best friends, Tom, in Vancouver and it means a lot to me. It's just a simple brown wristband that I always wear on my right wrist and looks really cool, but its sentimental value far outweighs the contribution it makes to my overall fashionability. The wristband is a reminder of one of my best friends, and of my home country, and I've literally worn it *every single day* since it was given to me. Just rubbing it on days when I'm down or lonely remind me that I have lots of wonderful friends in the world, and that I still have a tangible connection to my beloved Vancouver. I love that wristband!

I tried not to panic, thinking that I must've left it on my bedtable or in the bathroom (I always take it off when I do my hair so it doesn't get wet.) It must still be at home, and I'll find it there waiting for me when I return from work. When I got home to my apartment the first thing I did was scour my place looking for it. It was nowhere to be found!!!

I suddenly realized that if it's not on me and it's not somewhere in my apartment, that means it must've fallen off on the way from my apartment to the taxi stand. So out in the rain I went, to re-trace my steps exactly, on the same path I took earlier that morning to the taxi stand. I searched and searched but it was nowhere to be found. It had fallen off, and someone else had picked it up. It's gone forever!

I was totally bummed out by this! I mean yeah it is just an inexpensive piece of leather I wear around my wrist, but again, it meant a lot to me. It sucks that I lost it in my own neighbourhood, and that I can't get it back. I'M SORRY I LOST IT, TOM!!! And I'm sorry that I lost my everyday reminder of where on this planet my heart belongs. :-(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home