*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Day 45: All Grown Up

Every once in a while I get the occasional reminder that I'm not a kid anymore, that yes, I'm an "adult". All grown up. And heaven forbid, getting..."older"......with each passing day. What's that all about? I don't get it! haha! I'm only 25, and I'm being silly here, but in all honesty I do sometimes get these little 'metaphorical post-it notes' letting me know, that yes, time is indeed passing.

And I just got a big ass post-it note the other day...

MY BABY SISTER HAS MOVED OUT OF THE HOUSE!!!

What the hell!!!???

Actually it's no surprise at all. I knew this day was coming. Heck I even helped her and Jeff (her boyfriend) find their new apartment in Vancouver. But still, it was only this week, when I realized that she was on the road with all her stuff driving out to the West Coast, that she really has left the nest.

Part of me says "Finally! It's about time! She's 22-almost-23 - time for her to make it on her own!" but the vast majority of me (or at least the loudest of the two voices) screams out "Holy shit! Your baby sister is not a baby anymore! She's moving out of the house and is going to be living with her...BOYFRIEND!!????????? Whoa...."

It's definitely a reality check for me. She's not my baby sister anymore. She's a grown-up adult too, and, like me, she's left the comfort and security of home to go out and discover the world and pursue her dreams. Still, I always think of her as my 'baby sister' that I gotta look out for. The little girl who I used to play Cabbage Patch dolls with, who I used to wrestle with after dinner every night, who used to shit in the bathtub when I was in it with her, who I used to spend endless hours tobogganing at Grandma's farm with racing down off the shed roof or into The Pit at Mach 7, who I used to play hide-and-go-seek or sardines or capture the flag out at camp with Jennifer and the Adams boys, who would dance and sing with me to all our favourite pop songs (Roxette! Billy Ocean! Madonna! Janet Jackson! Ace of Base!) , who I used to build forts and obstacle courses for our hamsters with, who's Barbie house I used to knock down in 'sudden earthquakes' (gotta watch out for those active fault lines running under your bedroom Janelle!), who's skull I accidentally bit open when we collided while playing tag one day, who used to play hangman and doodle with me on those long long family road trips across Canada and the US, who used to wake me up at the crack of dawn every Christmas to open presents (and still does today.) She's the still the same girl, but just all grown up now. Wow. Time really has gone by so quickly....

AND I'M SO PROUD OF HER!!! I think that her and Jeff are going to love living in Vancouver. It's such an amazing city and I think this experience will really open their eyes to a lot of things in life. It's kinda funny if you think about it - Vancouver just lost an Erdman child, but this week it's gained another.
Now it's my sister who lives there, and it's me who's the guest in town. A total reversal of roles! I wish I could be there in the city with them to help them get settled, see how their new amazing apartment is coming together (they have a breathtaking view on the 19th floor that's gotta be seen to be believed!) and would love just to spend time with both of them. It's a shame that the timing was a bit off and we never got the chance to live together in the same city, but ahhh well, c'est la vie, and I'll be coming back that way eventually anyways.

Until then, good luck Janelle. Your big brother is proud of ya! I have every faith and confidence that you and Jeffy are gonna just love it there, and that success will be yours! I miss you guys, but know that you're doing well in your new home. Vancouver's an amazing city - live it up every moment, be bold and be crazy and explore absolutely everything. And be sure to 'represent' us Erdmans! I'm passing the torch to you! (but be prepared to give it back in a few years when I return to BC - hey I got there first, after all! I'm gonna want my throne back eventually...hehe!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home