*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Monday, February 23, 2004

Day 10: Everyday Life

There was nothing particularly exciting or eventful going on today (perhaps the first day like it since I've arrived?) but there's plenty of interesting things to comment on about everyday life here in Korea. The following is a list of random things that I am now accustomed to seeing or experiencing on a daily basis here in Seoul. Enjoy!

1) Crazy Motorcyclists! One thing that I was quick to notice here, was how "drivers" (and I use that term loosely) take their motorcycle/scooter absolutely anywhere they damn well feel like it. This includes on the road but in the opposite lanes, on the sidewalk, and through "pedestrian-only" alleys and markets. It's not uncommon for me to have to dodge a motorcycle in the crowded market on my way to work everyday! How they don't end up wiping out, or taking out half a dozen market stands or shoppers, is beyond me!

2) English Music At Random Moments! Because it's not very often that I hear English/Western music, whenever I do it causes me to stop in my tracks and take a moment to enjoy/laugh at the song. It always comes when I least expect it, and from unusual places, like gas stations, on the bus, or in that one not-unlike-Gap store next to my school in the market. Beyonce, Justin Timberlake, the Bangles, Cindi Lauper, Nickelback, Norah Jones, Michael Buble, Avril Lavigne and especially Britney Spears are all artists that I've heard in public in the last week or so. I've heard Britney at least three or four times, more than any other Western singer - perhaps Britney is the official Ambassador to Korea?

3) Squid! Koreans are "all about the squid!" They love the stuff, and it can be bought and consumed anywhere. Every market I've been to is full of them, and so is every restaurant I've visited. I've been walking down the street and had trucks drive by full of squid with loudspeakers blaring (what I'm assuming they're saying in Korean about how fresh and yummy their squid is.) Dried squid is a popular snack here, and is eaten just like how North Americans eat potato chips. Personally I'm not a fan of the stuff, but hey maybe by the end of the year I'll be poppin' squid like Liza Manelli pops pills?

4) Slippers! In Korea it is considered very rude to wear shoes, of any kind, inside a building. This applies to homes, restaurants, and offices. Instead, you must leave your shoes at the door, and wear slippers inside (which are provided by wherever you are.) So everyday I walk to work in my nice classy black dress shoes, leave them at the door when I get to school, and put on a pair of worn, thin, blue or pink or whatever-colour-is-around slippers (the kind your grandma probably wears...) Yes, that means I'm teaching grammar and vocabularly to my students...in slippers. It still makes me giggle too...

5) Virtual Celebrity Status! Every single day, no matter where I go, no matter what time of day it is, I am looked, or should I say, stared at in amazement/confusion/wonder/curiousity by Koreans. Foreigners are still not a common sight in many areas in Korea, including the suburb I live in (where I know of a total of 3 foreigners that live in a pop. 300,000 city!) and so they attract a lot of attention. You get used to it after a while, but every once in a while I 'trip out' over it, or forget that I'm a 'local celebrity' and feel confused why people are looking at me, and then I remember where I am - Korea! Most of the time all this is rather amusing, but sometimes you just don't want to be looked at, or want to feel 'anonymous.' When you stand out so much (especially being 6'3", blond-haired, and blue-eyed) it's like you just can't have an "off day." You are always "on stage", always "in performance mode" because there's always eyes on you. Koreans are always yelling "hello" or "hi" to you on the street or in the stores, just to practice their English or just to get you to look at them. 'And total strangers will even take pictures of you on the street or on the train or wherever... It's definitely *not* something that I've ever experienced before.

Sometimes I have a little fun with it though, and see what I can get away with... The other day while walking to the bus I happened to pass this church, where about 6 or 7 teenage girls were standing outside together. I was on the other side of the street, but when they saw me they got rather excited and started yelling out "Hello!" and "Nice To Meet You!" and "How Are You?" to me. I turned, smiled, and gave them a big wave. This got them even more hyped up and they started giggling and laughing and making even more noise. Then they yelled back "Hello Handsome Boy!" out to me. Well then I decided, just for fun, that I'd 'kick it up a notch'...

I blew them a kiss...

OH MY GOD!!!! They went absolutely hysterical!!! They started jumping up and down, waving their hands and arms around uncontrollably, and SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF THEIR LUNGS!!! I honestly thought they were going to start to cry, they were so excited!!! Wow - this must be what it feels like to be Justin Timberlake or something! With attention like this I feel like I should be some super-famous pop star or movie actor, but I'm not! I'm just some white dude who's an English teacher in suburban Korea! It made me laugh, and the Leo in me did enjoy the little ego-boost. I wish I had moments like this on video to show you cause honestly you wouldn't believe it unless you saw it!

*GOTTA LOVE LIFE IN KOREA, EH!*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home