*Coming Soon To A Continent Near You!*

Monday, February 16, 2004

Day 1: Safe & Sound

Well here I am, alive and well, in the Land Of The Morning Calm - Korea!!! I arrived here in Seoul after an 11-hour flight over the BC Coast, Alaska's Aleutian Islands, and Japan. I was bitter that not only did I not get a window seat, but the lucky bastards who did *slept* through most of the flight! (Rule #1 about flying - if you're blessed enough to receive a window seat, you must use every single minute to savour the unreal experience that it is to fly thousands of feet above our magnificent Earth's surface, otherwise give up your goddamned seat if all you're gonna do is sleep!) :-) I was hoping, as a 'safe back-up plan', to be bumped up to first class by some sympathetic flight attendant, but alas, my hopes for such were all in vain.... (Note to self - must flirt even more, with any and all flight attendants, regardless of age, gender, sexuality, or level of attractiveness, in order to fulfill desires of flying first class without paying for such.)
I must say that I was impressed with AirCanada's service on this long haul. And I can tell you that it is a VERY RARE occurrence for me to be impressed that with airline. The food was plentiful and delicious, and we were given a variety of movies and tv shows to entertain us as we sailed westward over the horizon.

We landed at Seoul's Incheon International Airport at 5pm and I was thrilled to be in Korea. While landing I got a few glimpses of the sprawling ginormous megacity that is Seoul. Seoul, at 18 million, is the world's fifth largest city and it was amazing to see it spread out in every direction as far as the eye could see. Incheon is a brand spanking new airport constructed on an artificial island in the ocean, about 52 km. from Seoul. The huge multi-billion dollar airport is clean, bright, modern, and very English-friendly. There was about a dozen of us "Non-native Koreans" on the plane and we had to file into 2 lines for Immigration, which proved to be a breeze to get through.

I claimed my luggage (yes Mom, I packed WAY TOO MANY CLOTHES) and gave myself ahernia (sp?) carrying it out. Oh wait...there's one of those handy airport carts. THANK GOD. I was met by boss, Steven, and his family (his wife Susan, and his daughters Sandy and Ester.) They were excited to meet me and very friendly. Into their car we jumped, and then it was off to the mainland to my new apartment.
On the way into the city (which basically has grown right to the shores of the Yellow Sea) I was able to take in the view of the periphery of this megacity. Incheon is also Seoul's main port city and the waterfront was lined with port facilities at sizes beyond my comprehension. The ocean was full of dozens of huge ocean-going ships coming and leaving port. Massive freeways led into the city, lined with rows upon rows upon rows of soaring, near-identical, high rise apartment towers. I felt like I had landed on an alien planet, and was enthralled with the sights. As an urban planner at heart, my poor lil eyes just couldn't take it all in fast enough.

I live in one of Seoul's southwest suburbs, Shihung City, and by the time we got there it was dark. I live in the basement suite of the house my boss and his family lives in. It's a bit of a hole, but it's cozy and comfortable. (I'm *loving* the heated floors in my bedroom!) My apartment consists of a small kitchen with a fridge, table and chairs, sink, microwave, toaster, rice cooker, and a small gas stove. My bedroom has a big comfy bed, and to my surprise, a computer with internet, and a TV with cable! YAH!!!! That was definitely a bonus that I was not expecting.

Now as for my bathroom situation...well....let's just say I'd describe it as "unique". There is one room for the toilet, which is accessed via my bedroom. You open a door, walk up three LARGE steps, and there it is, under the stairs...hmm.... As for the shower, well that's in another room by the front door. In that room, the shower is the WHOLE room, so when I shower, everything gets wet - walls, floor, washing machine, everything. The showerhead is one of those annoying little hand-held thingies, situated about 2 feet off the floor. Luckily I can pull it off the wall and 'aim at will', but I've also already mastered the whole 'lather-rinse-repeat' deal while croutched down on the floor with my eyes closed, trying to touch as little of the -45 C floor as possible. Oh yeah, about hot water...I seem to have plenty (although it does come and go at will while I'm showering) but everytime I want hot water for either the shower or the kitchen sink I have to push a button to 'turn it on' on the wall. Quite interesting indeed.

I've already unpacked fully and have made my apartment that much cozier and homey. I was feeling *serious* jet lag by the time 11pm came in Seoul and so I went to bed and slept a wonderful 11-hour sleep. Sweet dreams for me...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home